MMO505 - (Monument)

Summary

A trackway of probable medieval or post medieval date is recorded from Lynton to South Molton and was used as a packhorse route. It is in varying stages of preservation from a well preserved holloway to a tarmac covered road. Part of the route is depicted on both an 1816 map of the former Royal Forest and on the 1891 first edition Ordnance Survey map.

Please read the .

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

An ancient trackway from Lynton to South Molton. The portion of this route between Saddle Stone (SS 7151 4347) and Moles Chamber is probably as good an example as can be found of what must have been the condition of all Exmoor roads a hundred years ago (1). According to Burton (2) it later became a well used packhorse trail. The western boundary of the Exmoor Forest from the Saddle Stone southwards to the Edgerley Stone (SS 7195 4070) is annotated 'The Lynton and South Molton Road' on an 1816 Plan of Exmoor Forest (3). SS 7180 4000 to SS 7500 3606. This route, shown on the 1891 OS 6" (4), is still evident in varying stages of preservation throughout this sheet. It crosses the north edge (SS 7180 4000) as a well preserved hollow way cutting southwards to the head of Lew Combe. From here it passes a few metres to the west of the Sloley Stone and follows the west side of the enclosure wall to the site of Mole's Chamber (SS 7184 3939). At Moles Chamber it crossed another ancient route from Porlock to Barnstaple (SS 73 NW 31). According to Burton(b) from Mole's Chamber it continued via Setta Barrow, Span Head, Kinsford Gate and Two Barrrows to Sandyway Cross but much of this part of the route is now covered by a tarmac road.(1-4) The trackway described above is not visible on aerial photographs; however, numerous smaller trackways are visible around Mole's Chamber, Castle Common and Hentitchen which may have linked to the main routeway, or may be part of it. The 1816 map of Exmoor Forest shows several larger routeways, together with "watering places" leading across the moor and around the Royal Forest.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • --- Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1973. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. David and Charles Limited. Revised Edition. 13.
  • --- Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey 1891 1:10560 Devon Sheet 7 SW.
  • --- Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Map "Exmoor Forest at the time of Inclosure 1816" reproduced in Orwin C.S. 1929 "The Reclamation of .
  • --- Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Burton RA 1989 "The Heritage of Exmoor" Maslands Ltd, Tiverton page(s) 19.
  • --- Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury IS 07-SEP-1994 RCHME Field Investigation.
  • --- Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.

Map

No mapped location recorded.

Location

Grid reference Not recorded
Map sheet Not recorded
Civil Parish BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON
Civil Parish CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON
Civil Parish NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON
Civil Parish SOUTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (1)

Other Statuses/References

  • Devon SMR Monument ID: 60627
  • Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1050195

Record last edited

Jul 5 2013 3:19PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.