MMO491 - Possible post-medieval stock enclosure west of Saddle Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7135 4352 Bank forming subrectangular redundant field west of Saddle Gate seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. [1,2] Not investigated.  A subrectangular enclosure is visible on aerial photographs as a slight earthwork on Thornworthy Little Common, west of Saddle Gate. Centred at approximately SS 7135 4352, the enclosure measures 14 metres long by 13 metres wide, and is definied by a low narrow bank measuring up to 2 metres wide. A break in the bank on the eastern side may represent a former entranceway. Its precise date and function are uncertain, however it may well be a post-medieval stock pen or enclosure. [4,5]
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RAF/106G/UK/1655,4065 (July 1946).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. Reference SS7143b.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 March 1995.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3226-27 (13 May 1946).
- <5>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32858 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7144 4354 (17m by 16m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044028 (Original Monarch entry: 1044028)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18170
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/86
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE12846
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20810
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW118
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044028
Record last edited
Feb 3 2021 4:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.