MMO447 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A circular feature, possibly a hut circle is recorded by McDonnell(a) at SS 76274657. No trace of the feature described by (1) could be seen at the NGR cited. (2) A small circular mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, located on the north facing slope of Shilstone Hill at circa SS 76264656. It appears to be approximately 5 metres in diameter. No evidence of internal spaces or features can be seen to support the interpretation as a hut circle. An interpretation as a small clearance cairn, possibly related to medieval enclosure activity, is suggested by this authority. It remains visible on aerial photographs of 1995. (3-4)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 093-4 12-MAR-1995.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 4098-9 17-OCT-1952.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. McDonnell R CRAAGS Exmoor AP survey 1979-85 (information in Devon SMR).
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North WR 25 NOV 93 RCHME Field Investigation.
- --- SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7626 4656 (7m by 7m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1001728 (Pastscape entry: 1001728)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18121
- Devon SMR: SS 74 NE 543
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1001728
Record last edited
Jan 31 2011 3:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.