MMO437 - Post-medieval trackways on King's Brompton Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
ST 015 340. Trackways, King's Brompton Common. For details see county SMR.  The post Medieval trackways described by the previous authority were seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. The trackways form a distinctive cross pattern, with the centre at ST 0143 3394. Some of the trackways can be seen extending beyond the Common, especially those heading south west. [2-4] These features were confirmed on the ground during RCHME field reconnaissance. They survive as smoothed earthworks in an area of improved pasture.  The trackways appear on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [6,7]
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset County Council SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3144-3145 23-JAN-1947.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70387 500-501 25-SEP-1970.
- <4> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SOC HSL UK 71180 RUN 01 8866-8867 07-SEP-.
- <6> SSO1566 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 6" sheet 58NE.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0147 3386 (790m by 619m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975399 (Original Monarch entry: 975399)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11129
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8870
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW30
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975399
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33427
Record last edited
Jan 3 2018 9:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.