MMO436 - Pre-enclosure trackways at Brendon Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
ST 0015 3490, ST 0130 3455. Trackways, Wiveliscombe Barrow.  A series of trackways were seen as earthworks and cropmarks and mapped from aerial photographs. The trackways are not continuous but extend from near Brendon Hill (ST 0222 3436) to ST 0017 3498 and are aligned NW-SE. The date of these trackways is not clear, it is debatable whether they are all contemporary, but they all seem to pre-date the enclosure fields and some are cut by trackways associated with ironstone mining (MMO1121). [2-3]
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3144-3146 23-JAN-1947.
- <3> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SOC HSL UK 71180 RUN 01 8867-8868 07-SEP-1947.
- <5> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 0034.
- <6> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3332.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0120 3465 (2059m by 652m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975393 (Original Monarch entry: 975393)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11127
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7869
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8868
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW28
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975393
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33425
Record last edited
Jan 5 2022 11:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.