MMO418 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
For setails see county SMR. (1) A water channel is visible on aerial photographs as a 1.8 kilometres long earthwork, centred approximately on SS 82824073 on the north-east facing combe slopes above Allcombe Water. The channel, of a type known variously as a leat, gutter or head-main, was probably part of nineteenth century agricultural improvements on Exmoor. Fed by a source near Larkbarrow Corner at circa SS 82484144, it was possibly intended to supply Hill Farm with fresh water. (2-3)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4195-6 13-MAY-1946.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0161-2 27-APR-1964.
- --- SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Somerset C.C. SMR 29-SEP-1986.
- --- SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8294 4078 (1014m by 1318m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974866 (Pastscape entry: 974866)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO6784
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974866
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34589
Record last edited
Feb 1 2011 12:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.