MMO416 - Medieval or post-medieval field system above Sparcombe Water and River Exe confluence (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Field boundaries were seen on [unspecified] aerial photographs and plotted on the Somerset County Council SMR map.  Linear earthwork banks are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, defining approximately 45 hectares of possibly medieval field system on the upper southwest facing slopes above the confluence of Sparcombe Water and the River Exe, centred on circa SS 8213 4049. A number of the longer and more regular field boundaries have been preserved in the extant, largely 19th Century field pattern. However, it is clear that the remainder had been superseded by the 19th Century enclosure, probably part of wider agricultural improvements. A gutter or leat from Sparcombe Water, supplying Westermill Farm, cuts a number of the earlier boundaries (MMO522) and many of the shorter and curvilinear boundaries, defining more irregularly shaped fields, are visible only as relict boundaries, including those enclosing the steep combe sides above Sparcombe Water and the River Exe. By the 1970s the relict field boundaries had been largely levelled. [2-7] The field system was also transcribed by McDonnell from aerial photographs. It was described as small rectangular enclosures with an associated trackway leading north through a curving and subrectangular field system defined by bank.s [7-9]
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33636, 6 inch map SS84SW.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4195-6 (13 May 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 3081-3 (2 September 1952).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0163-4 (27 April 1964).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 975-7 (29 April 1973).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NRM MAL 76064 235 (25 July 1976).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4160-1 (April 1947).
- <7>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32625 ]
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-178 83/9303 (September 1971).
- <9> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8240A, SS8140B.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8198 4049 (898m by 725m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974835 (Pastscape entry: 974835)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11294
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6783
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW118
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974835
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33636
Record last edited
Jun 18 2019 11:16AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.