MMO3805 - Medieval or post-medieval boundaries north and south of Shoulbarrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 6921 4031. Low bank aligned northwest to southeast forming old field boundary visible on aerial photographs taken in 1947 north of Shoulsbarrow. [1,2] Possible medieval or post-medieval boundaries are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs to the north and south of Shoulsbarrow. They are centred at SS 6911 4023, SS 6921 4031 and SS 6918 4002. They are not marked on the historic editions of the Ordnance Survey map so they were presumably out of use before the mid 19th Century. They may relate to the numerous medieval strip fields in Challacombe parish or may represent later field boundaries. However they may not even be contemporary features but they are all likely to relate to medieval or post-medieval activity at Shoulsbarrow. [3,4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3144 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6940C.
- <3> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Challacombe, West Devon, 20 December 1999.
- <4>XY SMO7526 Archive: RCHME: Challacombe Project, Devon. AF1301145. [Mapped features: #34717 ; #34718 ; #34719 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6916 4018 (214m by 409m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505852 (Pastscape entry: 1505852)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17980
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/94
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20726
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE167
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1505852
Record last edited
May 1 2019 9:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.