MMO3788 - Medieval field system east of Shoulsbarrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a system of medieval strip fields extend east from Shoulsbarrow to Shoulsbarrow Common. The fields are defined by curving parallel lynchets and are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs, although some are now in woodland and some may have been levelled. The whole system is centred at SS 6962 4017 but two concentrations survive. In comparison with other fields in the vicinity, it is likely that the fields were once continuous. The two concentrations of lynchets, which extend over several modern fields, are centred at SS 6950 4017 and SS 6980 4008. The relict fields were probably part of an infield-outfield system where the outfield was usually an area of poorer grassland or moorland, and the infield was an area of intensly cultivated strip fields. The strip lynchets form part of an extensive system of lynchets around the settlements and farms in Challacombe parish (see MMO1215). [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Challacombe, West Exmoor, 20 December 1999.
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7526 Archive: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME: Challacombe Project, Devon. AF1301145. [Mapped features: #34735 ; #34736 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1505754, Extant 1 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6961 4010 (533m by 380m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505754 (Pastscape entry: 1505754)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE154
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1505754
Record last edited
Nov 1 2021 10:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.