MMO377 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
For details see county SMR. (1) A shaft, adit and spoil heap are depicted on the Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25" mapping of 1904 (source 2). Centred at SS 8202 3752 are the remains of an iron mine. It consists of a linear gulley 5m wide, 0.6m deep and about 30m long. A very disturbed spoil heap is visible at its north-eastern end. The site of the shaft, some 84m to the south-west of the adit gulley, is marked by a sub-circular hollow 5.2m in diameter and 0.5 m deep. The shaft lies in an extensive area of shallow surface scoops and depressions, which are probably prospecting pits. (3) Earthwork evidence for iron mining of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs centred on circa SS 8203 3754. The remains consist of an adit gulley, evidence for a former air shaft and area of possible prospecting pits. The adit gulley is centred on circa 8207 3757, is up to 48 metres in length and 7 wide with an associated spoil heap at its north-eastern tip. To the south of the gulley, shallow surface scoops and depressions can be seen to cover an area of circa 2.5 hectares. As described above, these probably represent a period of speculative ore prospecting. Within this area, the location of a shaft, probably for ventilation, can be seen as a larger and deeper circular hollow centred on circa SS 81973750. (4-5)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 3420-1 11-JUL-1946.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F62) 162-3 27-APR-1964.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North W R 09-AUG-1995 RCHME Field Investigation..
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25" mapping 1904. Somerset sheet VL.11..
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset C C SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- --- SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8200 3749 (247m by 199m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974426 (Pastscape entry: 974426)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO6747
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974426
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33592
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33592
Record last edited
Jan 12 2011 1:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.