MMO3755 - Post-medieval field system east of Holcombe Water Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of field boundaries and narrow ridge and furrow of probable post-medieval date can be seen on aerial photographs as earthworks on the upper east facing slopes of the hill to the east of Holcombe Water Farm. The earthworks are centred very approximately on ST 06693406, an island of earlier post-medieval cultivation surviving within an area of very regular, probably 19th enclosure. The narrow ridge and furrow can be seen on aerial photographs up to the 1960s as roughly north to south orientated earthwork banks covering an area of just over 2 hectares within a NNW-SSE orientated field. The banks are spaced on average 3 metres apart. Curvilinear earthwork field boundary banks are visible immediately to the north and south of the ridge and furrow. Those visible to the south of the ridge and furrow might represent a pre-19th century road, a precursor of the extant road immediately to the south. All have been levelled by 1970. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/2082 (F20) 4013-15 19-MAY-1947.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1944 (F20) 3001-2 23-JAN-1947.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F62) 0299-300 27-APR-1962.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70387 490-1 25-SEP-1970.
- <5> SMO7562 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 03 SE. MD002179.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0670 3408 (504m by 296m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||ELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1500161 (Original Monarch entry: 1500161)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SE125
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1500161
Record last edited
Apr 3 2013 1:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.