MMO3754 - Possible medieval farmstead overlooking Horse Parks Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Earthworks visible on aerial photographs, situated at circa ST 06513497 on the north facing slopes overlooking Horse Parks Wood, may be the remains building platforms or enclosures defined by a ditch or hollow way up to 10 metres wide. The ditches enclose a sub-rectangular platform approximately 50 metres by 35 metres in size at circa ST 06543497, and a second possible platform 95 metres by 25 can be seen circa 40 metres to the west. They lay within the south-east corner of a former field, the boundaries of which were removed in the years following the Second World War and replaced with those now extant. The function of the earthworks is unclear, but it is possibly they are the remains of deserted farmstead of medieval date. [1,2]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/2082 4014 19-MAY-1947.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL/76067 201 04-AUG-1976.
- <3> SMO7562 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 03 SE. MD002179.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0648 3501 (207m by 163m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1500158 (Original Monarch entry: 1500158)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SE124
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1500158
Record last edited
Apr 3 2013 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.