MMO3623 - Post-medieval field boundaries and narrow ridge cultivation northeast of Parsonage Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The earthwork remains of two field boundaries and narrow ridge and furrow of probable post-medieval date are visible on aerial photographs, centred on circa SS 8601 3214 to the northeast of Parsonage Farm. The relict boundaries fit into the surrounding, probably post-medieval field system and are probably contemporary with it. However, they are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, supporting the interpretation that they were removed prior to its publication in 1890. They cannot be seen on aerial photographs of 1972 and have probably been levelled by this date. [1-4] The Tithe Map for Hawkridge shows this area as part of a much larger open field, with only the southern boundary extant at this time. This suggests that the field system dates from earlier than 1841. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/2082 3038-9 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 430-1 (16 August 1972).
- <4>XY SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198. [Mapped feature: #42714 ]
- <5> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8603 3218 (231m by 303m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1497905 (Pastscape entry: 1497905)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE107
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1497905
Record last edited
Apr 5 2021 9:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.