MMO3597 - Medieval or post-medieval enclosure west of Birchanger Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The earthwork remains of a medieval or post-medieval enclosure are visible on aerial photographs west of Birchanger Farm, Monksilver. Centred at approximately ST 0622 3707, the earthwork forms the corner of a rectangular enclosure measuring 140 metres long by 65 metres wide. The opposite side of the enclosure is formed by the extant boundaries at Birchanger. The enclosure is similar in form to those depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1888 around Birchanger, but is not depicted itself, suggesting it was abandoned some time prior to this date. It most likely represents the remains of a stock pen or small field associated with Birchanger. [1-3] The Tithe Map for Monksilver clearly depicts this feature as part of a network of field boundaries that had been removed by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. [2,4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4319 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888.
- <3>XY SMO7561 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 03 NE. MD002178. [Mapped feature: #32434 ]
- <4> SSO301 Map: 1841. Monksilver Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0622 3707 (172m by 63m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MONKSILVER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1497718 (Original Monarch entry: 1497718)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE106
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1497718
Record last edited
Mar 12 2019 10:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.