MMO3462 - Post-medieval leat north of Smallacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A leat to Smallacombe Farm rises at a spring marked on the map at SS 8154 2626. [1,2] A leat or carriage gutter of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork centred on circa SS 8153 2918, passing from Molland Common to the enclosed fields to the north of Smallacombe. The gutter follows the contours of the western slopes of Triss Combe for over 250 metres, but due to dense vegetation on Molland Common, is only clearly visible after entering enclosed land at circa SS 8150 2924. The northern stretch of the gutter is depicted on Ordnance Survey maps from the 1st Edition onwards. It is probable that the water supplied by this leat passed through the farmstead at Smallacombe before being distributed on the combe slopes by a water meadow to the south. [3-5] The route of the leat is marked on 2018 MasterMap data. It passes outside of the National Park boundary at SS 8154 2908, before it reaches Smallacombe Farm.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906 16SW.
- <2> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A21.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0254-5 (27 April 1964).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5>XY SMO7582 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 82 NW. MD002199. [Mapped feature: #32846 ]
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1495416, Extant 26 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8152 2921 (63m by 253m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1495416 (Pastscape entry: 1495416)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54003
- Devon SMR Monument ID: SS82NW/94
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NW52
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1495416
Record last edited
Jan 26 2022 12:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.