MMO3461 - Post-medieval leat between Triss Combe and Luckworthy Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A leat or carriage gutter of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork centred on circa SS 8123 2978 on Molland Common. The gutter can be seen roughly following the contours of the western slopes of Triss Combe for over 600 metres, before entering enclosed land at circa SS 8133 2946. From this point it is no longer clearly visible on the aerial photographs available to the survey, but the gutter is depicted on Ordnance Survey maps from the 1st Edition onwards, and can be seen to follow field boundaries towards Luckworthy Farm. [1-3] The leat or gutter is also visible on 2018 MasterMap data. At SS 8134 2932, it splits; with one section heading west towards Luckworthy Farmstead and another heading directly south along the route of Stonemoor Lane. Both routes continue outside of the National Park boundary. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA IRFC 2469-2470 (1982).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO7582 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 82 NW. MD002199.
- <4>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #45848 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8128 2962 (169m by 891m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1495411 (Pastscape entry: 1495411)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54002
- Devon SMR: SS82NW/84
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21545
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NW51
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1495411
Record last edited
Jan 29 2019 4:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.