MMO3386 - Post-medieval hollow ways or trackways northeast of Five Cross Ways (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An extensive but also eroded network of hollow ways or trackways can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the slopes overlooking the River Barle to the northeast of Five Cross Ways. The visible remains of this network of tracks covers around 17 hectares of the northeast facing combe slopes within a broad meander of the Barle valley. Taking into account the topography of this area, the routes appear to be predominantly orientated along a roughly northwest to southeast axis. The purpose of the tracks, including any clear origin or destination, is unclear, but it is possible that some of the northeast to southwest orientated routes approached Hinam Farm. This may support an interpretation of a post-medieval date for the possible routes. Some of the hollow ways appear to be banked, but this may be an impression created by the close proximity of multiple parallel tracks. Many of the earthworks have been effectively levelled by 1969, but some features remain visible as subtle earthworks on aerial photographs of 1995. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 116-5 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 4134-6 (2 September 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/69116 254-5 (17 April 1969).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95024 026-7 (12 March 1995).
- <5> SMO7583 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 82 NE. MD002200.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8828 2877 (657m by 494m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1494336 (Pastscape entry: 1494336)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NE115
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1494336
Record last edited
Jun 1 2016 2:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.