MMO3369 - Medieval and post-medieval field system around East Anstey Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The CRAAGS aerial photograph survey noted low banks forming fragments of fields associated with narrow rig ploughing on Venford Allotment, East Anstey Common and Whiterocks Down. [1,2] Field boundaries and narrow ridge and furrow of probable medieval to post-medieval date can be seen as earthworks across the north and east facing slopes of East Anstey Common, Venford Allotment and Whiterocks Down. The earthworks cover an area of at least 90 hectares, or almost 1 square kilometre, centred very approximately on SS 86972895, although the poor earthwork visibility and undulating topography makes an accurate estimate of area difficult. The enclosure is less regular in character than that visible further west on Anstey Money Common, and appears more typical of an aggregate field system, particularly on the upper slopes of East Anstey Common. As is typical for medieval agriculture in this area, the ridge and furrow can be seen to mostly run perpendicular to the contours. However, at 2 to 4 metres between each ridge-top, it is more probable that the visible ridge and furrow is post-medieval in date, and may in fact represent a phase of deliberate levelling of field boundary banks following the abandonment of the field system. The earthworks were transcribed from a combination of original aerial survey and from plans previously transcribed in advance of field survey. [3-7]
- <1> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM 12/004, 12/005, 12/025, 12/026 (May 1977).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8628B, SS8629B, SS8728B, SS8729A.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 4130-4 (2 September 1952).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/69116 322-3 (17 April 1969).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL 77021 025-026 (20 May 1977).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95024 025-6 (12 March 1995).
- <7>XY SMO7583 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 82 NE. MD002200. [Mapped feature: #32854 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8704 2897 (1404m by 1537m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EAST ANSTEY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1494216 (Original Monarch entry: 1494216)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20960
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33920
- Devon SMR: SS82NE/23
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21257
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NE101
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1494216
Record last edited
Feb 4 2019 1:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.