MMO3325 - 19th Century water meadow southeast of Hinam Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small water meadow of probable 19th Century date is visible on aerial photographs as faint earthworks centred at circa SS 8862 2912, directly to the south-east of Hinam Farm. This is a type of water meadow known as catchwork, catch meadow or field gutter system, commonly found on combe or hill slopes and designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream. The water is carried along the valley sides via one or more channels or gutters and when irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of March and April. The water meadow is comprised of just two gutters up to 120 metres long, one on either side of the spring-fed stream from which it is probably fed. The spring rises approximately 100 metres to the south of the farm. The earthworks are subtle and visible on limited numbers of sorties. However, they remain visible on aerial photographs of 1995. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/890 3308-9 (3 October 1952).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95024 026-7 (12 March 1995).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4> SMO7583 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 82 NE. MD002200.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8861 2913 (99m by 167m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1493794 (Pastscape entry: 1493794)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NE70
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1493794
Record last edited
Jun 1 2016 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.