MMO3257 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary at Litton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A slightly curved medieval or early post-medieval field boundary is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork dividing extant fields on Litton. Centred at approximately SS 7978 3297, the boundary runs roughly north to south between two extant boundaries, curving slightly to the east, for some 420 metres. It is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1891, suggesting it was abandoned prior to this date. The area is shown as rough grazing on the map, and this boundary was probably removed to create a larger grazing area. [1-3]
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4248-49. 11/07/1946.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891.
- <3> SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7979 3303 (182m by 405m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492936 (Pastscape entry: 1492936)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE116
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492936
Record last edited
Nov 9 2016 10:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.