MMO3252 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on North Molton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small circular bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, located on North Molton Ridge, due south of the large barrow (MDE1208). Located on high ground at SS 7792 3255, the bank measures some 1.5 metres wide and encloses an area 11 metres across. It resembles the levelled barrows visible to the north on Long Holcombe, Exmoor, and given its location and proximity to several other funerary monuments on North Molton Ridge, it may well be the remains of a barrow. Further survey is required to confirm this interpretation. [1,2] Source  apparently meant that this feature is due north of MDE1208, not south.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 418-19 (16 August 1972).
- <2>XY SMO7578 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195. [Mapped feature: #43722 ]
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 27 March 2017.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1492922, Extant 28 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7793 3255 (16m by 16m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492922 (Pastscape entry: 1492922)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE111
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1492922
Record last edited
Sep 28 2021 4:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.