MMO3240 - Post-medieval peat cuttings northeast of Darlick Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks covering an area of approximately 4 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 7825 3350 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 8 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 55 metres across. Due to the large number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. It is possible that this particular area of cuttings is associated with the deserted settlement at Darlick. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3373-74 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P. 232-33.
- <3>XY SMO7578 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195. [Mapped feature: #38895 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1492885, Extant 28 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7823 3348 (292m by 232m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492885 (Pastscape entry: 1492885)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS73SE/99
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1492885
Record last edited
Sep 28 2021 4:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.