MMO3228 - Post-medieval quarries southeast of East Twitchen Ball (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two small quarries are shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 7918 3179 and SS 7918 3176.  The quarries are again shown on the 2nd Edition map, set within and joined by a change in slope.  The quarries are depicted on the six inch 1962 map.  A small circular depression, currently in use as a pond, is visible on aerial photographs east of Eastern Ball Farm, Twitchen. Centred at approximately SS 7919 3178, the quarry measures some 23 metres across. Along with a second, smaller quarry, it is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated quarry, suggesting it was in use when the map was published in 1891. As such it most likely dates to the post medieval period. The smaller quarry, which lay to the south of this, is not visible on aerial photographs. The two quarries may have provided building stone for Eastern Ball Farm [1,4-5]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 386-87 (16 August 1972).
- <5> SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7919 3178 (39m by 47m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492814 (Pastscape entry: 1492814)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33735
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/546
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21241
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE87
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492814
Record last edited
Nov 9 2016 8:34AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.