MMO3227 - Post-medieval quarry on North Molton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An "old quarry" is labelled and depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and the six inch 1962 map. [1-3] A small linear depression is visible on aerial photographs adjacent to the road south of North Molton Ridge, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7794 3227, the quarry is cut into the slope of North Molton Ridge and measures some 55 metres long and up to 15 metres wide. It is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated old quarry, suggesting it was abandoned prior to publication in 1891. It most likely dates to the post-medieval period, and may have provided building stone for the construction of the road. [1,4-5]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1:2500 1891.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3448-49 (15 April 1946).
- <5> SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7794 3226 (40m by 59m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492813 (Pastscape entry: 1492813)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33734
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/548
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21240
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE86
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492813
Record last edited
Mar 28 2017 1:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.