MMO3192 - Possibly World War Two military earthwork on Withypool Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small mound is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s as an earthwork on Withypool Hill, centred on circa SS 8395 3445. The mound is roughly circular in shape and approximately 10 metres in diameter. The age and function of the mound are uncertain but it may be associated with military training activities of Second World War date. Three similar earthworks can be seen to the east on Withypool Hill, in the vicinity of vehicle tracks indicative of military training activities. One such track passes immediately to the south of this feature. Due to the dense vegetation on Withypool Hill the current condition of this feature cannot be ascertained from the aerial photographs available to the survey, but a circular patch of vegetation visible on Google Earth may indicate some level of survival. [1-3] A field survey was undertaken in 2017 as part of a desk based assessment of Withypool Hill. This identified a shallow depression measuring 9.1 metres long (east to west) by 8.1 metres (north to south) by 0.3 metres deep at this location, with slight channels leading into the feature on its northeast and south sides. Slight separate banks are present on its north, east and south sides. There are animal tracks nearby, and the feature may be being used by animals for shelter; no associated erosion is present. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 160G/UK/1655 (F20) 3295-6 11-JUL-1946.
- <2> SMO7337 Website: HEGARTY. World Wide Web page. http://earth.google.com.
- <3> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
- <4> SEM8541 Report: Passmore, A. and Dean, R.. 2018. Withypool Hill, Withypool, Exmoor Park: Results of archaeological desk-based assessment, measured and photographic survey of Withypool Stone Circle, and geophysical survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8362 3430 (18m by 17m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492080 (Original Monarch entry: 1492080)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW114
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492080
Record last edited
Feb 27 2018 4:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.