MMO319 - Possible World War Two military activity features south of Martinhoe Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 6845 4563. Fairly large rectangular group of vegetational marks beside road. World War Two military encampment. [1,2] The area lies in regularly ploughed pasture fields. There is now no trace of these features. (3) The cropmarks are visible on aerial photographs from 1947 only and can be seen as lines of possible square parch marks arranged in a rectangle. However the square parch marks are too small to represent tents or other temporary structure, and the arrangement does not resemble a military encampment. There are signs of other military activities in the area however, and it is possible that these cropmarks are also related to military activity. [1,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4088-89 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6845a.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 July 1993.
- <4>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #35219 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 915501, Extant 2 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6845 4562 (188m by 200m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915501 (Pastscape entry: 915501)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17941
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/55
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11221
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20555
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE57
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 915501
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 12:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.