MMO3189 - Possible World War Two training site at Withypool Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small mound is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s as an earthwork on Withypool Hill, centred on circa SS 8429 3444. The mound is subcircular in shape and approximately 8 metres in diameter, the edge of the feature possibly defined by a narrow and low earthwork bank less than one metre wide. The age and function of the mound are uncertain but it may be associated with military training activities of Second World War date. Three further earthworks of similar size can be seen to the west of the Withypool Hill barrow, in the general area of vehicle tracks indicative of military training activities. Due to the dense vegetation on Withypool Hill the condition of this feature cannot be ascertained from the aerial photographs available to the survey. [1,2] A field survey was undertaken in 2017 as part of a desk based assessment of Withypool Hill. This identified a shallow bowl shaped depression measuring 4.60 metres (east to west) by 4.7 metres (north to south) at this location. No associated banks were present. Animal tracks pass through the feature, and it is clear of thick grass so may be being used as an animal shelter. It is also visible on LiDAR data as a depression. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 160G/UK/1655 (F20) 3295-6 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
- <3> SEM8541 Report: Passmore, A. and Dean, R.. 2018. Withypool Hill, Withypool, Exmoor Park: Results of archaeological desk-based assessment, measured and photographic survey of Withypool Stone Circle, and geophysical survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8429 3444 (14m by 14m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492067 (Pastscape entry: 1492067)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW111
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492067
Record last edited
Feb 27 2018 4:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.