MMO3180 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small bank and ditch defined enclosure can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred in circa SS 82183197. The earthwork is irregularly shaped and encloses an area of about 900 square metres. It is situated on the lower slopes of Hawkridge Plain above Danes Brook, abutting the road to Lower Willingford Bridge, approximately 300 metres to the north-west. The enclosure is not marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, the area in which it is located depicted as an area of unimproved and perhaps boggy ground. This could support the interpretation that the enclosure post-dates 1890 but it seems more likely that it is an earlier construction that has passed out of use by this time. Considering the proximity of the enclosure to the commons to the south, it may be the remains of stock enclosure of post-medieval date. (1-2)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR NMR CPE/UK/2082 (F20) 3041-3 19-MAY-1947.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F62) 0255-6 27-APR-1964.
- --- SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8218 3201 (36m by 42m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492004 (Pastscape entry: 1492004)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492004
Record last edited
May 15 2018 1:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.