MMO3173 - Post-medieval field boundary north of Cussacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A curvilinear field boundary of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the north of Cussacombe Common, centred on circa SS 80523148, 400 metres to the southeast of Blindwell Farm. The bank is less than two metres wide but can be seen crossing the lower slopes of Cussacombe Common for nearly 70 metres before meeting the course of a spring fed stream. It meets a similar field boundary to the north of the stream, part of a wider field system of probable post-medieval date but potentially with origins as a medieval strip field system. It is possible that the bank recorded here is of similar date and may be part of a wider phase of abandoned enclosure. [1,2] The boundary is not depicted on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, nor on the Tithe Map for Molland and it is likely that the feature predates these documents. [3-5]
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS8031/3 (1456/173) (28 February 1979).
- <2> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
- <3> SEM7661 Map: 1841. Molland Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8052 3147 (46m by 61m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1491923 (Pastscape entry: 1491923)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW95
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1491923
Record last edited
Nov 9 2016 10:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.