MMO3165 - 19th Century water meadow or leat northwest of Cloggs Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A leat or carriage-gutter of probable 19th Century date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork over 1 kilometre long, centred on circa SS 8339 3152. The gutter was probable constructed to supply Cloggs Farm with fresh water from the spring fed tributary to Danes Brook at Fox Combe, tapping the stream at circa SS 8332 3199. It also probably operated as a simple water meadow, supplementing the larger system to the south of Cloggs Farm. The gutter is marked on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition map and therefore predates 1890. It is still visible on the Google Earth images available at the time of survey. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3288-9 (15 April 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR NMR CPE/UK/2082 (F20) 3041-2 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO7337 Website: HEGARTY. World Wide Web page. htp://earth.google.com.
- <4> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8347 3156 (530m by 858m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1491863 (Original Monarch entry: 1491863)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE87
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1491863
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 11:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.