MMO3163 - 19th Century leat supplying Zeal farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A leat or carriage-gutter of probable 19th Century date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork over 2 kilometres long, centred on circa SS 8484 3095. The leat is less than 2 metres wide and is embanked on the down-slope side. The gutter was probable constructed to supply Zeal Farm, at circa SS 8538 3001, with fresh water from a spring on Old Barrow Down, tapping the stream at circa SS 8420 3183. The gutter is marked on the Ordnance Survey first edition map and therefore predates 1890. It is still visible on Ordnance Survey aerial photographs of 1972, but cannot be seen on the Google Earth images available at the time of survey and has probably been levelled. [1-4]
- --- SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3290-1 (15 April 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 377-8 (16 August 1972).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <4> SMO7337 Website: HEGARTY. World Wide Web page. http://earth-google.com/.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8470 3099 (1008m by 1671m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1491853 (Pastscape entry: 1491853)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1491853
Record last edited
Aug 22 2016 11:32AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.