MMO3159 - Post-medieval fields, trackway and quarry west of Langcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
SS 8360 3008. Possible deserted farm site of similar size to MMO511 (to northeast). [1-2] A quarry is recorded at this site.  Former field boundaries and an embanked quarry and trackway of probable post medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks centred on circa SS 8360 3010 on the northeast facing slopes of Brimblecombe Hill, to the west of the deserted farmstead of Langcombe with which they are probably contemporary. The northernmost boundaries partly follow natural terraces on the combe slope above a tributary to Dane's Brook. An almost levelled narrow bank to the west of the deserted farmstead of Langcombe can be seen to run parallel for over 185 metres to the extant field boundary at an offset distance of circa 15 metres. These earthworks may be the remains of former hedgerows, perhaps representing a phase of subdivision abandoned by the publication of the first edition Ordnance Survey map. The avenue defined by the parallel banks may indicate a former approach to the farmstead from the north, possibly superceded by a later trackway from Brimblecombe Hill in the west as the boundaries were removed. This bank abuts that enclosing a disused quarry at circa SS 8357 3009. Annotated as an Old Quarry on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, it had clearly passed out of use by 1890. Nonetheless, a clearly defined hollow way or embanked track links this pit to the former farmstead of Langcombe. It possibly provided building material for the farmstead. [4-7]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/023 (May 1977).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8330C.
- <3> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A18, 4 June 1992.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3289-90 (15 April 1946).
- <5> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS/8330/17-19 (18278/17-19) (10 February 1999).
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <7>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #32687 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8359 3021 (263m by 278m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1491831 (Pastscape entry: 1491831)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18376
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/17
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20852
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW81
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1491831
Record last edited
Feb 18 2019 1:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.