MMO3157 - Medieval or post-medieval hollow way on Moorhouse Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Hollow way from Red Ford to Lyshwell (recorded as SS 8300 3015 on gazetteer). Two banks visible from the ford to the brow of the hill, only one where way crosses leat. Joins track going to deserted settlement at Lyshwell.  A bank bounded hollow way of probable medieval or post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs, as an earthwork centred on circa SS 8310 3059, crossing the southeastern tip of Moorhouse Ridge. The route is of variable width but is up to 6 metres wide, bounded by earthwork banks of on average 2 metres width apart from at its eastern end, where only the southernmost bank can be seen. The route is visible for over 500 metres, from its southwestern end at Red Ford, where it meets packhorse roads or tracks on Molland Common, to the crest of the spur where it appears to meet extant field boundaries and a track towards the deserted farmsteads at Lyshwell. A track of probable post-medieval origin appears to follow a route parallel to the hollow way, to the south of the southern bank. [3,4] The routeway is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and on the Tithe Map for Molland parish. [5,6]
- <1> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A17.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106g/UK/1420/3288 (15 April 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4121-2 (2 September 1952).
- <4>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #31691 ]
- <5> SEM7661 Map: 1841. Molland Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8311 3061 (511m by 160m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1491819 (Pastscape entry: 1491819)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54033
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/37
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21565
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW79
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1491819
Record last edited
Feb 18 2019 4:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.