MMO3145 - World War Two military training earthworks west of Halse Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Sub-circular features of probable Second World War date and military function are visible on aerial photographs centred on circa SS 883 336 on the south facing slopes of Winsford Hill. The features are amorphous in shape but are generally no larger than 15 metres in diameter. Some resemble low earthwork mounds, others surface scoops. They may be areas of levelling for temporary gun emplacements used in military training exercises, perhaps firing south and eastwards towards The Allotment and Draydon Knap, where craters have been recorded. Around 16 of these features are visible, distributed over the south facing slopes of Winsford Hill. Towards the summit of the hill, 6 small slit trenches or weapons pits are visible. These are visible as rectangular ditches approximately 5 metres long and 1 wide, with spoil piled to either side. These fieldworks were probably excavated as part of military training exercises. [1-3] During the Second World War, a lot of Americans were camped around Winsford. A shooting range was made at the Punch Bowl from which they fired at Tom's Hill on the forest. They also had tanks shooting down into the Punch Bowl. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 3354-5 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 4262-3 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198.
- <4> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 60.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8856 3375 (656m by 845m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490718 (Original Monarch entry: 1490718)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE98
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1490718
Record last edited
Jul 26 2016 2:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.