MMO3138 - World War Two military installation east of Higher Knaplock (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A military installation of Second World War date can be seen as earthworks and structures on aerial photographs of 1946 onwards, centred at circa SS 8707 3309, some 130 metres to the east of Higher Knaplock. The installation is located against a field boundary and is partially obscured by overhanging vegetation, but can be seen to comprise two Nissen Hut type shelters approximately 12 metres long and 5 wide, enclosed by banks on their southwestern sides. They appear to be connected by a trackway to a flat topped earthwork mound approximately 8 metres in diameter about 35 metres to the south. This may have housed a superstructure of some sort. A similar distance to the south of the mound, the track continues to an area of surface disturbance about 10 metres square, such as might support a mast or similar structure. The function of is uncertain but the possible presence of a mast may suggest a role as a radio or radar station. However, the situation of the site, approximately 100 metres below the summit of Winsford Hill, makes this seem unlikely. The structures remain visible on aerial photographs of the 1950s but not later. Field investigation of the site is recommended. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/890 (F20) 3025-6 (3 October 1952).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 4259-60 (11 July 1946).
- <3>XY SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198. [Mapped feature: #32710 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8706 3310 (48m by 104m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490693 (Pastscape entry: 1490693)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE91
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1490693
Record last edited
Apr 16 2019 2:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.