MMO3121 - Post-medieval mound north of Slade Barn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A mound is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s as an earthwork adjacent to Slade Lane, centred at circa SS 8556 3030, some 300 metres to the southwest of West Hollowcombe. The mound is small subrectangular in shape, measuring approximately 22 metres long and up to 12 metres wide, although on later photographs it appears much narrower. It could simply be a spoil heap from the excavation of nearby irrigation gutters or it may be the remains of a building platform potentially of post-medieval date. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 3292-3 (15 April 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/69116 384-5 (17 April 1969).
- <3>XY SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198. [Mapped feature: #32725 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8556 3030 (22m by 33m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490488 (Original Monarch entry: 1490488)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE75
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1490488
Record last edited
Apr 11 2021 9:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.