MMO3121 - Mound north of Slade Barn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A mound is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s as an earthwork adjacent to Slade Lane, centred at circa SS 85563030, some 300 metres to the south-west of West Hollowcombe. The mound is small sub-rectangular in shape, measuring approximately 22 metres long and up to 12 metres wide, although on later photographs it appears much narrower. It could simply be a spoil heap from the excavation of nearby irrigation gutters or it may be the remains of a building platform potentially of post-medieval date. [1,2]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 3292-3 15-APR-1946.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/69116 384-5 17-APR-1969.
- <3> SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8556 3030 (22m by 33m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490488 (Original Monarch entry: 1490488)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE75
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1490488
Record last edited
Apr 2 2013 10:57AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.