MMO3120 - 19th Century water meadow north of Halse (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A water meadow of probable 19th Century date is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the north of Halse, centred at circa SS 8974 3473. This is a type of water meadow known as catchwork or field gutter system, commonly found on combe or hill slopes and designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream. The water is carried along the valley sides via one or more channels or gutters and when irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of March and April. The system consists of three gutters roughly following the contours of a north facing combe slope above the Winn Brook. No springs or streams are marked on the historic maps available to the survey and it is therefore unclear from where the system is fed. Nonetheless, the gutters can be seen to cover an area of approximately 1.5 hectares. The gutters are still visible on aerial photographs of 1973. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 4393-4 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 780-1 (17 April 1973).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198. [Mapped feature: #43150 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8973 3465 (234m by 207m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490471 (Pastscape entry: 1490471)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE74
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1490471
Record last edited
Apr 11 2021 9:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.