MMO3112 - 19th Century water meadow south of Mounsey Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An extensive water meadow of probable 19th Century date is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks centred on circa SS 8871 3023, to the south of Mounsey farm. This is a type of water meadow known as catchwork or field gutter system, commonly found on combe or hill slopes and designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream. The water is carried along the valley sides via one or more channels or gutters and when irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of March and April. This is a small and compact water meadow covering an area of at least almost 6 hectares. It probably operated in tandem with a similar system immediately to the east, associated with Ashwick. The two water meadows are probably contemporary and would have shared a single water supply, the spring fed stream between them, operating on strict timetables to maximise its use. The gutters can still be seen on aerial photographs of 1972 but appear poorly maintained and may have passed out of use. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 3296-7 (15 April 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0266-7 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 338-9 (16 August 1972).
- <4> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <5> SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8873 3014 (251m by 547m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490420 (Pastscape entry: 1490420)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE65
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1490420
Record last edited
Mar 17 2020 1:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.