MMO3094 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries on Silkwood Top (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 6974 3757.Low spread banks forming ploughed out field boundaries. The banks form an L shape and run between c.SS69733757 and SS 6994 3766, and c. SS 6973 3757 and SS 6981 3743. [1-3] A pair of probable medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs on the west side of Silkwood Top, Brayford. Centred at approximately SS 6975 3749, both banks run approximately north to south between two extant field boundaries, apparently forming two small rectangular enclosures between the extant fields. The westernmost bank measures approximately 120 metres in length, while the easternmost measures 150 metres. Both are between 3 and 4 metres wide. They are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting they were abandoned prior to this date. The slightly curved form of the boundaries suggests a medieval or early post-medieval phase of enclosure. [4-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4439 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/058 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6937B.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 18-19 (7 May 1996).
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6>XY SMO7571 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 63 NE. MD002188. [Mapped feature: #33295 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6983 3755 (275m by 267m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1489005 (Pastscape entry: 1489005)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17895
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/39
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20509
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 63 NE78
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1489005
Record last edited
Jan 21 2019 4:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.