MMO304 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
For details see county SMR (1). A probable prehistoric barrow is recorded by source 1 at SS 78153430. A turf covered, circular barrow of prehistoric origin is centred at SS 78103428 on the crest of a gentle south-east facing slope. It lies within an abandoned post medieval field and is partially cut by a large field bank on its south-eastern side. The mound measures 9.4m (N-S) by 10m and it ranges in height between 1m on the western side and 2m on the east due to its position on the natural hill-slope. There is a central depression probably caused by robbing (source 1) which has left the western half of the summit 0.3m higher than the eastern half. The fabric of the barrow has been revealed by the ditch of the field bank on its south-east side. It does not contain a large proportion of stone; neither is revetting or kerbing visible. There is no apparent ditch either although the mound is encircled by a continuous ring of rushes against the rough grass elsewhere, cut only by the field bank on the south-east. There is no apparent ditch either although the mound is encircled by a continuous ring of rushes against the rough grass elsewhere, cut only by the field bank on the south-east. There is damage from cattle trample all around the site as well as on its slopes. The barrow commands clear views to the north through to the east and the south. To the west it is obscured by the summit of the hill. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale 5th January 1995 (2). The barrow described above was clearly visible on aerial photographs examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme in 2009. A second possible barrow is visible approximately 150 metres south-west of this location (3).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 765-66 17-APR-1973.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RCHME Field Investigation, 05-JAN-1995, HP Chapman & WR Wilson-North..
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR, 29-SEP-1986..
- --- SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7809 3426 (15m by 15m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909014 (Pastscape entry: 909014)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO6997
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909014
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33131
Record last edited
Mar 10 2014 11:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.