MMO3036 - Possible levelled Bronze Age barrow south of Kitridge Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A small circular cropmark approximately 1.3 kilometres to the northwest of Withypool may be evidence of a levelled barrow or burial mound of Bronze Age date. Centred on circa SS 8347 3614, the incomplete ring ditch is defined by a circle of lodged crop circa 7 metres in diameter. It is situated at circa 345 metres above Ordnance Datum, near the summit of the spur overlooking Withypool. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 68041 002-3 (9 June 1968).
- <2>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #47507 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488501, Extant 23 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8347 3614 (12m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488501 (Pastscape entry: 1488501)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW135
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488501
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 10:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.