MMO3035 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries northwest of Withypool (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two earthwork banks visible on aerial photographs to the northwest of Withypool, at circa SS 8373 3628 are probably the remains of field boundaries of probable post-medieval date. The 500 metre long east to west oriented bank follows the contours of the combe slope above a tributary of the Barle before abutting an extant boundary at its eastern end. The curved nature of the second, shorter north to south oriented boundary may indicate a medieval origin for the relict boundaries, possibly based on the enclosure of bundles of strip fields. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4358-9 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/890 (F20) 3013-4 (3 October 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 68041 001-2 (9 June 1968).
- <4>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32734 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488498, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8360 3625 (477m by 225m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488498 (Pastscape entry: 1488498)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW134
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488498
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 8:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.