MMO3031 - Possible medieval building platform south of Landacre Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An earthwork mound or platform can be seen on aerial photographs, on Withypool Common near the south bank of the River Barle, centred on circa SS 8161 3603 about 100 metres from Landacre Bridge. The feature measures approximately 8 metres square and may previously have been embanked and enclosed in a narrow ditch, although hints of these can now only be seen on the western side. The date and function of the earthwork are unknown but it may be the remains of a building platform, potentially of medieval date. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 68041 009-10 (9 June 1968).
- <2>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32738 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488478, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8161 3603 (10m by 10m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488478 (Pastscape entry: 1488478)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW130
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488478
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 9:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.