MMO3023 - Post medieval field boundaries west of Sellbed Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Field boundaries of probable post-medieval date are visible as levelled earthworks on aerial photographs, forming a field system centred on circa SS 8196 3778, on 35 hectares of steep north facing slopes to the west of Sellbed Cross. The boundaries survive as a mix of low or levelled earthworks and linear gullies, probably formed by the erosion of former earthwork banks by run off from the slopes. The relict boundaries form a field system fairly regular in its organisation, that shares some common boundaries and a general north-northeast to south-southwest orientation with the surrounding extant 19th Century boundaries. However, it shows more similarities to the extensive relict field system recorded to the south on Withypool Common, and it is likely they are contemporary in date. By 1973 the easternmost boundaries can still be seen as low banks but the remainder has been almost completely levelled. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3320-21 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F62) 162-4 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 607-8 (17 April 1973).
- <4>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32742 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488430, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8191 3764 (916m by 667m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488430 (Pastscape entry: 1488430)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW122
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488430
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 9:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.