MMO3017 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries north of The Tunnel (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of former field boundaries can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s, as levelled earthworks immediately to the north of The Tunnel, Exford at circa SS 8370 3969. The removed boundaries are clearly part of the surrounding coherent system of boundaries, potentially of medieval origin, but have been removed at different times. The western half is marked on the 2nd Edition ordnance Survey map of 1903 and was therefore removed in the first half of the 20th Century. The eastern had been removed prior to the publication of the 1st Edition map in 1889. Both sections have been transcribed for clarity. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4062-3 13-MAY-1946.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32746 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488399, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8370 3970 (237m by 42m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488399 (Pastscape entry: 1488399)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW115
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488399
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 10:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.