MMO3016 - Post-medieval field system on Riscombe Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The earthwork remains of a former field system can be seen on aerial photographs, on the north facing slopes of Riscombe Down, above the River Exe, centred on circa SS 8252 3955. The visible boundaries take the form of earthwork banks and gullies, probably evidence for the erosion of former earthworks. All are aligned across the contours of the steepest slope of Riscombe Down, roughly north to south, between 360 and 315 metres above Ordnance Datum. They are still clearly visible on aerial photographs of the 1970s. [1-3] McDonnell also transcribed a group of banks here forming rectangular fields. He suggests the more irregular banks he notes to the west end may be paths. [4-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 161-2 (27 April 1963).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1056-8 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4316 (April 1947).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-178 83/9304 (September 1971).
- <6>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8239D. [Mapped feature: #32747 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488379, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8240 3959 (750m by 216m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488379 (Pastscape entry: 1488379)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW114
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488379
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 10:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.