MMO3014 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible path or hollow-way of probable post-medieval date can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs, to the south of Gallon House, formerly Red Deer House. The possible route is up to 4 metres wide and over 250 metres long, centred approximately on SS 81003916. It appears to lead from the upper reaches of Pennycombe Water to Red Deer Cottages. Alternatively, it may be associated with mining activity reported in this area, perhaps evidence of a sunken adit. (1-2)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1054-5 29-APR-1973.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 164-5 27-APR-1964.
- --- SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8101 3915 (80m by 254m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488373 (Pastscape entry: 1488373)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1488373
Record last edited
Oct 28 2009 11:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.