MMO3010 - Post-medieval water meadow north of Weatherslade (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Evidence of a possible water meadow of post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs to the north of Weatherslade, at circa SS 8494 3660. Although individual gutters cannot be seen as earthworks, their presence is indicated by a flush of water on the combe slopes. It is probably of a type known as a catchwork, ditch gutter or field gutter system, which are typically found on combe or hill slopes. They are designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream along the slope via the roughly parallel channels or gutters. When irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of the March and April. The system was probably supplied with water by a spring immediately to the west. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4356-7 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32753 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488327, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8491 3656 (116m by 135m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488327 (Pastscape entry: 1488327)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW108
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488327
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 10:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.