MMO301 - COLES CROSS FARM (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
For details see county SMR (1). Coles Cross Farm is depicted on the OS 1st edition 6" mapping of 1891 (source 2). It is shown as a single rectangular building with two adjacent closes and a detached barn. It has the descriptor "Coles Cross" applied to it. The farm was approached by a double-hedged lane from the west (2). The site of Coles Cross farm lies within an improved pasture field. It is marked by an amorphous rectangular platform measuring 20.5m by 21.5m, cut into the hillside on its southern and western sides. There are no building remains visible. On the north side is a double-hedged lane now in use as a farm track. A new building called "Coles Cross" has been recently built by the landowner at SS 78723360 (3). The boundaries of Coles Cross Farm are clearly visible on aerial photographs taken in 1964; however, on later images dating from 1996, the boundaries have been removed and the platform described above is obscured by vegetation. The farm is shown as inhabited on both the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1891 and 1904 respectively, suggesting that it was abandoned sometime in the early 20th century (4-6).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 124-25 7-MAY-1996.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F61) 249-50 27-APR-1964.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1904.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR, 29-SEP-1986..
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. OS 1st edition 6" mapping 1891. Somerset sheet LVI.NW..
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RCHME Field Investigation, 12-JAN-1995, WR Wilson-North..
- --- SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7803 3398 (65m by 53m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909006 (Pastscape entry: 909006)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO6993
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909006
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33175
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.