MMO2996 - Post-medieval water meadow channel north of Sellbed Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A simple water meadow of probable post-medieval date can be seen to the south of Withycombe at circa SS 8283 3798 as an earthwork channel, on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. It is probably a simple example of a type known as a catchwork, ditch gutter or field gutter system, which are typically found on the combe sides or hill slopes of Exmoor. This is a simple example consisting only of a single gutter, but more complex examples are widespread, designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream over the slope via multiple roughly parallel channels or gutters. When irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of the March and April. This system was probably supplied with water from a spring issuing to the west of Sellbed Cross. It may be associated with more extensive systems to the north, around Withycombe. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3317-9 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F62) 161-2 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32761 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488227, Extant 30 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8285 3786 (410m by 51m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488227 (Pastscape entry: 1488227)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW94
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488227
Record last edited
Aug 30 2021 9:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.